12/13/11

To thrift or not to thrift ? Part 1

I have done a few posts in the past showing my thrifting finds, and if those have not inspired you to try it, this one might.

This is my new outfit that I purchased yesterday for about $20. DKNY black drape cardigan $5, brand new cream fully lined wool trousers from Tommy Hilfiger $10, and leather BP snake skin peep toe pumps (new)$6. I cant wait to wear it out on a date with Brice or some where nice.

I had a particularly good clothes thrifting day yesterday which has inspired me to share with you a little of my families "Thrift" wardrobe. I will not be showing any of Brice's ( not sure if he wants me to "out" his wardrobe) but I will list for you some of the designers I have gotten for him. They include; Armani, Nordstrom, Kenneth Cole, Banana Republic, Ralph Lauren-polo, BCBG, J Crew, Perry Ellis, Tommy Hilfiger, to name a few.

I should probably share some tips too.
1. Do not take this kids if you want to take your time
2. Only buy clothes that you like. $1 is still a wasted $1 if you dont like it.
3. Look for quality fabrics
4. Be aware of any specials or deals of the day
5. Hemming or tailoring a thifted item is still cheaper than retail
6. You can always "edit" items from your cart before checkout

My favorite store for clothing hands down is Saver's. Why? They are very organized. Every thing is organized by size, style, & color. Especially the childrens items. Everyday a different colored tag is 50% off and on mondays they have .99 cent and 50% tags. And if you donate items you can receive a coupon for 20% off your entire purchase of full price items.

Sometimes retail stores donate new "clearance" items to local thrift stores. The Target by my house donates to The Salvation Army. Any thing that I have purchased from there that was Mossimo was brand new! (gotten lots of shoes) Ask the people that work there. They might give you some good info.

Here are the pics---

2 Anne Taylor, Mossimo2 Banana Republic wrap dresses, mossimo, down east outfitters

4 on bottom right are cashmere

Wool coats. I spent the most on the Navy (which is divine) $19.
The middle is a wool Banana Republic
Pashmina and scraves Nordtrom, Volcom

brand new Kenneth Cole


Kenneth Cole, Chinese Laundry, BP, Steve Madden, Mossimo, Antoni Melani
It definitely is worth the time... at least it has been for us!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go! My mom is such a thrifter! I wish I had time to do it more often. It is so very addictive. Where oh where do you thrift?

Lifes Delish said...

It is ALWAYS worth the time. Wish you lived closer so we could thrift together. Today I found a few things for the house. I am not sure where I am going to put a vintage slide storage box but I love it so it will find a place. We need to catch up. email me your info I can't find it anywhere. lifesdelish@gmail.com